Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Location: Cape Town/ Fish Hoek/ Simon's Town. Day: 3.

This morning I took an adventurous drive through Cape Town Harbour loading area (accidentally). My aim of course was getting to the V&A waterfront, however, the GPS had other ideas than just a city drive for my journey.  
Once a friendly security guard pointed me in the right direction I was a-for-away.. I then spent some time wandering around taking many pictures, watching beautiful people and sipped on a Vida-e latte of course. (South Africa's best coffee shop)

Fun Fact about the V&A: South Africa's most-visited destination, having the highest rate of foreign tourists of any attraction in the country

Historical Fact about the V&A: Prince Alfred, second son of Queen Victoria, began construction of the harbour in 1860. The first basin was named after himself, the second after his mother, hence the name.

I then met some old friends from school for lunch at the local bookstore's coffee shop.







I am now staying with my second-mommy's parents in Fish Hoek and my my my is this area beautiful! My view stretches from Simons town through to Kalk Bay, so basically the whole of False Bay.

I went to Simon's Town and what captured my attention most was Just Nuisance. The Navy Dog. His story a rather sweet one too.

Just Nuisance was the only dog ever to be officially enlisted in the Royal Navy. He was a Great Dane who between 1939 and 1944 served at HMSAfrikander, a Royal Navy shore establishment in Simon's TownSouth Africa. He died in 1944 at the age of seven years and was buried with full military honours.

-Wikipedia. See for more information..


That evening I drove along the coast, stopping at points of interest to take pictures. If you have holiday in Cape Town planned, don't spend all your time in the city. 30min drive out of central Cape Town and you find even more wonders!

Must see spots:
-Brass Bell Restaurant.
-Simon's Town.
-Drive along the coast, Simons Town to Hout Bay, or even better, take a train ride. It's worth it!
-Chapmans Peak. (between Noordhoek and Hout Bay) 











No comments:

Post a Comment