Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Craig Hurlimann. {In memory}


As I type this, my family back in South Africa are preparing for my Uncle's memorial service later this afternoon. I'm sitting here with the deepest desire to be with everyone today. To support the aching hearts that have to let go and say goodbye for the last time. 



More than anything I want to be able to hold my Papa's hand as he faces the fact he'll never have another moment with his son. 
More than anything I want to hang out with my little cousin and let go a helium filled balloon with a message attached on it for his Daddy. 
More than anything I want to sit with his daughter and tell her some of the stories about her Dad that she missed out on. 
More than anything I want to stand by my Aunt as a pillar of strength in what must be an unimaginably painful heartbreak. 
More than anything I want to hug my mom as she cries for the loss of her big brother. 
More than anything I want to be able to tell my Uncle Gavin that the close relationship he had with his brother was admirable. The hot flying chicken being flung between two brothers will always be one of my heart's favourite stories to tell. 

More than anything, I wish I could take all the pain away. 

Craig, Gavin, Leigh, 
Granny, Me & Papa 


Forever my "cool" uncles. 


Craig & little Kai.


Brothers with their beautiful baby sister.


Passionate love, Joan & Craig. 

Craig Hurlimann 
16 April 1966 - 17 December 2013

My Papa's first born, my Mom's big brother, my little cousin's Daddy, 
My uncle and God-father.
Creative, passionate, clever, thoughtful, controversial, witty and kind, 
a free spirit, a true gentleman and of course, 
our family's favourite rebel. 
Forever loved by us all. 


"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. 
But people will never forget how you made them feel." 

And my Uncle Craig was very good at motivating me, 
inspiring me to ask more questions, making me 
want to work hard. 
I'll always treasure his frequent calls, 
asking me how many A's I was collecting at school. 

Grateful for great love. 


1 comment: