Saturday, February 8, 2014

Wandered: Malta.

Here I sit, on the top floor hotel balcony, listening to glory filled music, preparing words in my head to
try and describe the last couple of days. 

Leaving the comfort of my warm bed in the early hours of Saturday morning wasn’t something I struggled with, even though I didn’t know much about this last minute mini holiday I was embarking on my excitement still overflowed... All I did know was that we (my dad and I) 
were heading to an island called Malta, which was spotted somewhere in the Mediterranean ocean. 
From the little research I did on Pinterest, I knew I could expect historical beauty - and that’s exactly what I got! 

The flight leaving Birmingham was blissful! The sky was crystal clear and the 15 or so minutes flying over Switzerland were 
hands down my favourite! The alps were screaming out majestical goodness. [Side note, last year I did a lot of independent travelling,
i.e. without a parent, so this was the first bit of travel with my dad in about 3 years, and 
it’s been most humorous watching my him get very serious about me giving him my passport to “keep safe”.] 

My first impression of Malta: (I’ll apologise before hand for what you’re about to read, but hey, honesty?) 
"Woooo! There’s free wifi in the airport! Already winning!!”

First impression once we left the airport: Palm trees and no rain! 

We have visited in the middle of the Maltese winter, which compared to the british winter, has been gorgeous! 
Plenty wind which brought on the chill, but aside from that, we’ve been blessed with decent adventuring weather! 

While we were here we saw many old churches, visited the Sunday Fish Market in Marsaxlokk (pronounced ma-seh-shlock... I think), had a little tour around a residential area, saw the most incredible views near Blue Grotto, drove through St. Pauls Bay and my favourite by far was discovering more of Popeye Bay, originally known as Anchor Bay... 

Today, our last full day, we decided to catch the ferry across to Gozo Island, took about 25 minutes, so very convenient for a day trip. We saw the fortified Citadel in the town Victoria, went to the craft market in Ta'Dbiegi and once again, saw the most incredible view of Azure Window in the town Dwerjra. 

The few days here have been absolute bliss! Anyone who's an explorer at heart, I'd highly recommend you visit this corner of the world..





No comments:

Post a Comment